top of page

Driver licence in New Zealand

To be able to legally drive on New Zealand’s road, having a driver licence is essential. However, the type of driver licence required may vary depending on your length of stay. Check below to see which kind of licence you will need when traveling in New Zealand.

Road trip/ Elements Motors

Within 12 months

If you are going to stay in New Zealand for less than 12 months, all you need to have is simply a valid driver licence which can be either a national driver licence (in the English language), or an international driver licence.

*If your national driver licence is not in English, you will need to have it translated into English by an approved translator.

Longer than 12 months

For those who are willing to stay in New Zealand for more than 12 months, a New Zealand driver licence is then required. Luckily, the process of getting a New Zealand driver licence is pretty simply as follow:

1. Go to a NZ Transport Agency driver licensing agent

There are totally 3 agents where you can get your New Zealand driver licence form:

a) The Automobile Association (AA)

b) Vehicle Testing New Zealand (VTNZ)

c) Vehicle Inspection New Zealand (VINZ)

2. Submit an application

Bring along the required materials:

a) the overseas driving licence (and a translation if it is not in English)

b) an evidence of your identity (e.g. The passport)

c) a medical certificate, if required

d) colour photocopies of all the documents you have provided (including any translation)

And fill out the application form which can be obtained directly form the agents or from their websites.

3. Complete the tests

There are mainly 2 tests you may face.

a) eyesight screening test

b) theory and practical test, if required

4. Pay the application fee

After you’ve settled with the payment, a temporary New Zealand driver licence will be issued. And

your driver licence should be received within 21 days in the mail.


Still got questions for the driver licence? Just comment below and we'll try out best to help you out! Or you may check out NZ Transport Agency for the detailed information.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
bottom of page