RUC Road User Costs New Zealand

The most unknown part of all the things that you need to have or pay for while having a vehicle is the RUC. Anyone who's using New Zealand's roads contributes toward their upkeep. Most road users levies when they buy fuel. Others, such as drivers of light diesel vehicles and heavy vehicles like trucks, pay through road user charges.

Who pays RUC?

You need to pay RUC when your vehicle:

  • is over 3.5 tonnes manufacturer's gross laden weight

  • uses diesel or other fuel not taxed at source

The fuels that are taxed at source are petrol, compressed natural gas and liquified petroleum gas.

How you pay the charges?

You purchase a RUC licence which is based on the vehicle's RUC weight and RUC vehicle type. For most diesel cars, utes and vans you need a distance licence which you purchase in 1000km units (or multiplies of 1000). You need to buy a new licence before you have driven all the distance covered by the previous licence.

The label must be displayed behind the inside of the windscreen on the passenger side of the vehicle.

RUC weight

All vehicles are assigned a permanent RUC weight which will be the lesser of:

  • the gross vehicle mass (GVM)

  • or the maximum allowable mass for the vehicle

For light vehicles and smaller trucks, this will usually be the GVM rating, while for larger vehicles it is likely to be the maximum allowable mass.

Distance recorders

All vehicles that operate with distance licences must be fitted with a distance recorder that is of a type and accuracy sufficient to provide a reliable record of distance traveled. When your vehicle has a gross laden weight over 3.5t it has to be fitted with an approved hubodometer or an approved electronic distance recorder. Hubodometers must be calibrated to read in km for the appropriate sized tyre and have a unique manufacturer