top of page

Vehicle Change of Ownership in New Zealand

What do you need to do to change the ownership of a vehicle which you are buying? It is pretty simple and not much of work.

car registration new zealand

As a buyer

Note down the make, model, registration plate and the VIN number of the vehicle. The VIN number can be found under the bonnet on a little plate usually on the drivers side or on the certificate of registration.

If you don't have a NZ driver's license you need to go to a Post Shop, a branch of AA, VTNZ or VINZ. There, you just need your driver license and money to pay the $9 fee.

Fill out the MR13B form. The form asks you for a physical and a mailing address. The physical could be a backpackers whereas the postal address is ideally somewhere that you receive your mail.

Leave the driver license number empty as you don't have a NZ driver's license.

Take it to the counter where you will get a transfer receipt which you may need to show the seller. Often you get the keys after you proofed that you transferred the ownership.

Make sure you have a third party insurance before you drive your new vehicle.

As a seller

Fill in the change of ownership section for sellers on the vehicle's certificate of registration and send it to the Land Transport New Zealand's Transport Registry Centre.

If the seller can't find the certificate:

Get a seller's change of ownership (MR13A form) from a Post Shop, a branch of AA, VTNZ or VINZ. Complete the form and send it to the Transport Registry Centre. If the seller has a

New Zealand driver's license you could go online and fill out the form. There will be no charge for the seller.

The Land Transport Agency recommend that the seller asks to see the transfer receipt before handing over the keys for the vehicle.

Why is it important?

If you don't do the change of ownership you may receive the other party's fines and fees.

Hopefully, this could help you and answers all your questions!

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
bottom of page